Friday, January 2, 2009

2wd!



This was the most interesting piece of "thinking-a-bit-too-hard" bike design on a web page of such that I stumbled across recently. Click on the pic for a bigger view.

In all the places I blatt about on mountain bikes - I can only think of one where a 2 wheel drive bike might be useful. It's a short steep rutted hill. On a normal bike - if you stay seated your front wheel will come up and you'll fall off; If you stand up then the lesser weighted rear wheel will skitter about, you'll lose speed, and fall off. I can imagine this bike working here.

The transmission to the front wheel appears to be very simple (good), heavy (bad) and I bet there's awful friction losses in those two bevel drives and big fat cable (very bad). Hardly surprisingly the Snowbird fell victim to natural selection.

No comments: